The Offering Memorandum (OM) exemption is one of the most significant Canadian regulatory developments of the past few years because it opens up capital raising from a wider range of investors.
In the past, Canadian retail campaigns with an Offering Memorandum have been nearly impossible due to the complexity. Advancements in technology have not only made regulatory filings easier but marketing as well. With digital marketing, you now have the ability to amplify your message to millions of potential investors.
Digital marketing provides valuable analytics that can shed light on demographics, investor behavior, and even specific details (such as contact information) of investors interacting with your content. This data can be used to hone your investor marketing strategy as well as make better business decisions.
The following tactics should be used in creating a successful investor marketing plan.
- Key messaging: The right messaging is key to showing value to investors. Figure out how to build excitement about your offering. A potential investor will convert to an actual investor if they feel a strong connection to your mission, your team, and your vision.
- Investor profiling: Learning more about the specific type of investor that’s most interested in your offering can empower you to make targeted campaigns and get the best results from your resources.
- Online presence: A functional website is the most important part of your online presence. There are great companies out there that can put your entire OM offering online, optimizing the investment process.
- Social media: Social media tends to be overlooked but every follower should be looked at as a potential investor. Optimize your social media to be geared towards the investment and allow yourself to be found through relevant hashtags.
- Multiple touchpoints: Leverage multiple distribution channels to build credibility and get your investment opportunity in front of investors. This can come in the form of ads, social media influencers, media outreach, email marketing, etc.
- Investor lead generation: Investor marketing using multiple touchpoints can generate hundreds of potential retail investor leads per month interested in you and your company.
- Lead nurturing: After you get a list of interested investors, create a lead nurturing email campaign. A series of emails will drip information on interested investors, continuing to engage with them and increase conversion into the investment.
- Analytics: The analytics that you receive can help measure how your audience is interacting with your content, allowing you to further perfect your messaging, campaign, and outreach.
All marketing materials must be referenced in the OM to ensure uniform liability and disclosure standards and need to be filed with the province’s securities regulator. Read about our OM Marketing Do’s and Don’ts.
Navigating this complex exemption across jurisdictions prevents issuers from leveraging the Offering Memorandum exemption on a national scale. Issuers can now leverage the full potential of an OM retail campaign with investor marketing. Consult with an investor marketing firm to ensure your raise is a success.